There was a gap in the newly-returned rainy season, so I headed up north, first to Cross Fell and then "back o'Skiddaw".
Not sure how tough the walk was going to be, I planned a 15km route starting from Kirkland (parking with an honesty box at the church).
 |
| Leaving Kirkland |
The path climbed steadily until a steep, engineered path across the face of Wildboar Scar.
 |
| Above Wildboar Scar |
It levelled off with boggy sections higher up.
 |
| Great and Little Dun Fells, which I had chosen not to climb |
The rise onto the plateau was gentle.
 |
| Impressive cairns, or curricks |
The shelter is very impressive and was welcome in the strong breeze (not quite the Helm Wind). I hung around the deserted plateau for a while while butterflies and bees buzzed around. The views were limited, partly by topology, partly by haze (the Lakeland fells were just silhouettes).
 |
| Cross Fell summit |
Descending north, I met the first people of the day, in fact I passed perhaps a dozen other people on this side of the hill.
 |
| North edge of the summit plateau |
The descent was occasionally steep, occasionally boggy.
 |
| On the descent |
And before I knew it I was back in Kirkland, feeling I should have planned a longer route.
 |
| A last look to the fell as I arrive back at the village |
I spent the night at Gill Head Farm campsite (with a meal at the Troutbeck Inn). The skies were clear overnight so both the grass and my tent were soaked with dew in the morning. I stuffed the wet tent in the car and drove round to Lowthwaite, near Over Water. Most of the parking places were taken but I got a decent spot (other cars arriving after me parked less considerately). I set off just ahead of a group, and didn't see them again.
 |
| Longlands Fells |
Again there were hazy views, and the wind was much stronger. It was lovely walking country though.
 |
| Heading over to Brae Fell |
I was ticking hills, vaguely thinking of completing a third round of the Wainwrights (I'm halfway there), so headed as far as Knott before coming back to Meal Fell.
 |
| Steep descent off Meal Fell |
There were a few people around, individuals and couples, but it wasn't a busy place.
 |
| Trusmadoor with Skiddaw behind |
From Great Cockup I took a pathless, direct line downhill. Funnily enough, despite there being no path, my GPS track shows I followed almost the exact same line when I was last there in 2016.
 |
| Looking back on my way out |
It was an easy walk out after the steep drop and there were lovely views all round.
 |
| Binsey |
I might have popped over to Binsey but I hadn't brought a packed lunch and I was hungry, so I drove tot the Coledale Inn at Braithwaite instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment