Wednesday 14 June 2023

Castlerigg to Grasmere 9th June 2023

Having an unexpectedly free day at work, I immediately booked annual leave in order to take advantage of the continuing warm and dry weather. I had planned this route some time ago and now had the perfect opportunity to put it into practice. After an early start, I parked up just outside Grasmere and waited for the 555 bus, which I had passed near Staveley on my way up. The £2 bus cap is still in operation and it seems too good to miss. A line from a Neil Rollinson poem, which always comes to mind when I see this bus, goes, 'Empty your wallet and take a seat on the 555 to Keswick.' Not at the moment, thank goodness.

After disembarking at Castlerigg Farm and walking up the road to Rakefoot, there was a steady climb up to Walla Crag, giving a fabulous view over Derwent Water and Keswick.


And in the other direction to Cat Bells and the Newlands Fells behind it.


There was a lot of bog cotton out on the climb up Bleaberry Fell, looking to Skiddaw and Blencathra.


Bleaberry Fell summit


There was a steep final pull up to High Seat.


Even after this long spell of dry weather, I'm sure the Pewits would have wetted a few boots. Not a problem these days with the flagged path.


I was feeling good and it was a grand day. 'It doesn't get much better than this,' said a bloke coming the other way, and I had to agree with him. Armboth Fell looked too tempting to be passed by, although that had been my original plan. And who can resist Wainwright's advocacy of the fell as 'not really worth climbing'.


There had been a path out to Armboth but nothing leading me back on my way, so I had to contend with heather and tussock grass for a while. It would have been much worse had it been wet.

This tarn on Long Moss was alive with dragonflies, damselflies, water boatmen and other surface-skaters.


Blea Tarn

Standing Crag.


Finally made the summit of Ullscarf. It got a little busier from here but wasn't overrun with people.


I had various options to return to Grasmere but I decided to carry on along the ridge where another slog brought me onto High Raise with views of Bow Fell and distant Scafell Pike.


From Sergeant Man I could glimpse Stickle Tarn poking out behind Pavey Ark.


I took the wrong path coming off Codale Head and discovered I hadn't downloaded the maps to my phone (having upgraded to the latest software). It was back to map and compass to get myself back on track to Tarn Crag from where I could see down to Easedale and Grasmere somewhere in front.


Sourmilk Gill looking rather lactose-free.


It got hotter and hotter the further down I went, like lowering yourself into a hot swimming pool and letting the water close suffocatingly over your head. Thankfully Tweedie's Bar was waiting for me with a cooling pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment